Monday, October 6, 2008

The Fight

Okay, so I'm not that familiar with the world of 'fights', and by that, I am talking about people duking it out in the ring. I've watched the Olympics (obviously), and the fights seem fairly tame, with protective equipment worn and not a lot of blood to be seen. Well, my brother has been training in mixed martial arts for the past few years, and he had his first fight on Saturday. I honestly couldn't even believe he was going to be doing that, but I guess if you're training for it, that's what you do! Both him and his wife enjoy it. I personally did kickboxing for a while, but never had the intention of actually fighting someone. I was doing it more for the exercise -- and it is great excercise. But back to my story. I didn't actually go to the fight, and now am glad that I didn't, because my brother was knocked out and sent to emergency with a broken jaw and split eyebrow. I guess they were in a clincher (sorry if that's not the right term) on the ground, the opponent somehow broke out of it and came crashing down, full force with his fist, on my brother's face. He was knocked out for a couple of minutes, but luckily no concussion! Just thinking about it makes me cringe! I can't imagine the pain he must have been feeling! You know, I watch this kind of thing in the movies, but never imagined my own family to be participating in it! I just hope nothing worse happens to him in future fights, but I guess if you do this kind of sport, you have to accept the fact that you are going to get hurt at some point. If nothing else, it was a good learning experience!

No comments: